This blog is a static site generated by Pelican Static Site Generator, Powered by Python Programming language. If you are using Wordpress or any other blogging engine, you should think to move to Static Site Generators like Pelican or Jekyll. Static sites are faster, the load time of this blog as tested on Pingdom is 540ms. Static Site Generators offer the following benefits.
- Less Hassle with the server
- Comments can be setup with Disqus
- Free hosting on Github Pages
- Responsive (Mobile Friendly Test on Google)
- Fast (Load time tested on Pingdom: 540ms)
- Syntax highlighting for code blocks
- Disqus for Comments
- Google Analytics
- RSS/ATOM feeds
- Easy to install
You can install Pelican-Blue theme to your earlier Pelican project or create a new project from the Pelican Quickstart guide.
- Clone the repository
$ git clone https://github.com/Parbhat/pelican-blue.git
- Create a THEME variable in your pelicanconf.py file and set its value to the location of pelican-blue theme.
THEME = 'path-to-pelican-blue-theme'
If you have placed the pelican-blue theme inside your project's pelican-themes folder, change the THEME variable in pelicanconf.py to
THEME = 'pelican-themes/pelican-blue'
- Add the following code to your pelicanconf.py file to display the social icons.
SOCIAL = ( ('linkedin', 'https://www.linkedin.com/in/username'), ('github', 'https://github.com/username'), ('twitter', 'https://twitter.com/username'), )
- That's it! You have installed pelican-blue. To see the Theme in action run the devserver
Note: If you are new to Pelican Static Site Generator, you can read the Pelican Docs to learn the working of Pelican. You can also customize the theme after reading the documentation.
Pelican-Blue theme use the following settings. You can add the following to your pelicanconf.py to get the site shown in the screenshots.
SIDEBAR_DIGEST = 'Programmer and Web Developer' FAVICON = 'url-to-favicon' DISPLAY_PAGES_ON_MENU = True TWITTER_USERNAME = 'twitter-user-name' MENUITEMS = (('Blog', SITEURL),)
When developing locally, set the following variable:
SITEURL = 'http://localhost:8000'
When you are ready to publish your site add the following settings to publishconf.py file
SITEURL = 'http://your-domain-address' FEED_ALL_ATOM = 'feeds/all.atom.xml' CATEGORY_FEED_ATOM = 'feeds/%s.atom.xml' MENUITEMS = (('Blog', SITEURL),) DISQUS_SITENAME = "" GOOGLE_ANALYTICS = ""
For more information on publishing your site, read the publishing docs
Thanks for reading.